RUN FREE - DOGS MAY NOW VISIT THE DOG PARK WITHOUT A LEASH

SOCIAL DISTANCING PROTOCOLS ARE STILL IN EFFECT - PLEASE WEAR A MASK AND KEEP 6-FEET

ATTENTION

BLUE-GREEN ALGAE ALERT

Before you let your dog hit the water this summer, you should be aware of blue-green algae. The “algae” is a bacteria known as cyanobacteria.  It is not visible to the naked eye, but can look like clumps of algae in the water.  The bacteria can be found in non-flowing freshwater during hot weather with little rainfall. Dogs love to play in the water which leads to water ingestion.   If high levels of the bacteria are consumed, domestic animals and dogs can be poisoned. Causes of blue-green algae include nutrients (phosphorus and nitrogen), slow moving stagnant water, high temperatures, and exposure to high light. 

 

What to do to avoid blue-algae poisoning?  Keep your dog leashed around bodies of water, especially if the water looks dirty, foamy, or has mats on the surface.  Don’t let your dog drink from ponds or lakes.  Harmful algae blooms can look blue, green, brown or red and resemble paint floating on the surface.  Toxins aren’t always visible, but can have a nauseating smell.  Dogs can be attracted to the smell! 

 

Signs or symptoms may occur anywhere from 15 minutes to several days.  They include diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, weakness, confusion, unconsciousness, seizures, and breathing problems.  If you think you dog has been exposed to the algae or shows any symptoms, contact your vet immediately.   

 

Additional information can be found on the following web sites:

 

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/07/toxic-algae-blooms-close-spruce-run-reservoir-and-7-other-nj-lakes.html

https://njdep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/49190166531d4e5a811c9a91e4a41677

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now